Bloodstone, also known as Heliotrope, is a stone of courage, strength and endurance, and its energy works to help us weather storms, either from inside or outside of us. It's also a stone of purification and detoxication which is said to help cleanse the blood and help our detoxing organs.
It's a type of green chalcedony with red inclusions of Red Jasper or Hematite.
The name Bloodstone comes from the red inclusions looking like blood spots on the stone. Christian legend says that the red spots are from Christ's blood dripping on the stone when he was crucified.
African Bloodstone and Color Variations
The photograph presented here shows an African Bloodstone heart-shaped tumbled stone.
The color of Bloodstone specimens can vary quite a bit. Some don't actualy have the red inclusion spots, some also have some white and yellow inclusions as well. Additionally, a type of Bloodstone called African Bloodstone often has a grey-ish color instead of the green.
Jump to a section:
- Metaphysical Properties
- How to Work With It
- ✨ Quick Facts
- Further Exploration
I go through life with courage and an open heart, and I face challenges with resolve and a strong sense of inner strength.
Meaning & Metaphysical Properties
- Bloodstone promotes a grounding at the level of the heart and helps us stay strong and courageous in the face of challenges.
- It encourages us to stay the course and not give up.
- It helps us come to peace with the storm before the calm. In fact is has even been said to help control the weather.
- Bloodstone gives strength when one is being bullied.
- It is a great stone for athletes or anybody going through something very taxing, as it promotes endurance, resolve and stamina.
- On top of working at the level of the heart chakra, it also brings balance and energy to the root, sacral and solar plexus chakras.
- It promotes the making of decisions that are right for us and for our path.
- It is said to help with purification of our energy as well as our blood, but also of organs such as the kidneys, spleen, bladder and liver. It is said to help the process of process of detoxication and elimination.
- It is also said to help boost the immune system.
How to Work With Bloodstone
Here are some ideas on how to work with Bloodstone in your daily life:
- Meditate with a piece of Bloodstone on the area of your heart chakra to promote grounding and courage that comes from the heart.
- Carry some with you when doing very demanding physical or mental activities.
- Place it in water to make an elixir and spritz it around your home to give an extra boost of vitality.
- Carry bloodstone with you if you are being bullied or disrespected.
- Carry some with you to promote smooth and ongoing detoxing.
- Place a tumbled stone in the southeast corner of your home (the money corner) to promote wealth and prosperity. You can also place a tumbled stone where you keep your wallet or money.
Bloodstone is found primarily in the following countries:
- South Africa
- Grey (African Bloodstone)
- Sometimes white and/or yellow inclusions
- Facing fears
- Inner strength
- Blood Jasper
- Smoky quartz
- Black tourmaline
- Tumbled stones
- Raw pieces
- Number 4 & 6
I've prepared the following graphics that you can share on Instagram, Pinterest or your own website/blog:
If you want to further explore about the metaphysical properties and meaning of Bloodstone, I recommend the following resources:
Thanks to the following books for their great information about the different properties of Bloodstone:
- LOVE IS IN THE EARTH: The Crystal & Mineral Encyclopedia by Melody
- The Encyclopedia of Crystals by Judy Hall
- Crystals for Healing by Karen Frazier
- The Book of Stones by Robert Simmons & Naisha Ahsian