Smoky quartz is a popular and powerful crystal for grounding and protection. It acts gently and removes negative energy around it to bring unwanted energy into the Earth to be transmuted. Smoky quartz is a member of the quartz family (Silicon Dioxide) that gained its smoky brownish grey appearance from natural irradiation in the earth.
Its smoky coloring can vary widely from a specimen to another, with some almost fully clear and others almost black. Some very dark specimens are artificially irradiated, so you'll want to keep an eye out for that when getting smoky quartz.
It's a great crystal for beginners to the crystal world and one that probably every crystal lover should have in their collection.
Jump to a section:
- Metaphysical Properties
- How to Work With It
- ✨ Quick Facts
- Further Exploration
I stand strong on the ground and feel safe, centered and supported by the Earth.
Meaning & Metaphysical Properties
- Smoky Quartz a great crystal for grounding and connection with the Earth. It acts in a gentle, yet powerful way.
- It helps draw out any negative energy from its environment.
- Smoky quartz protects from the effects of EMF pollution created by electronic devices. Similarly, it protects from the negative effects of radiation such as that from the sun or medical devices
- Smoky quartz helps with the manifestation of our dreams into the physical world and to ward off nightmares.
- It is said to help protect against theft and road rage.
- It is said to help facilitate work with ancestors.
- It is said to help prevent one from over-consuming or over-spending our resources.
- Smoky quartz is known to help ward off unwanted paranormal energies.
How to Work With Smoky Quartz
Here are some ideas on how to work with smoky quartz in your daily life:
- Use smoky quartz anytime you feel a bit spacey and feel like you need to be more grounded.
- Carry a small piece of smoky quartz in your pocket.
- Sleep with some smoky quartz at your feet for grounding throughout the night. Alternatively you can place a piece under your pillow to help ward off nightmares and to help with manifesting our dreams in physical form.
- Use a smoky quartz point, point away from your body and place it around areas that need love and imagine negative energy being pulled out and sent to the earth to be transmuted.
- Bring some with you outside in nature and get barefoot on the earth while holding a piece of smoky quartz.
- Use it in your meditations to keep yourself grounded and centered.
- Place it around the house and/or office for grounding and protection.
Smoky Quartz can be found all around the world, but here's a list of some of the most common origins:
- Smoky brown
- Light to dark grey
- Stress relief
- Absorbs negativity
- Smokey quartz
- Clear Quartz
- Black Tourmaline
- Natural points
- Tumbled stones
- Number 2
I've prepared the following graphics that you can share on Instagram, Pinterest or your own website/blog:
If you want to further explore about the metaphysical properties and meaning of smoky quartz, I recommend the following resources:
Thanks to the following books for their great information about the different properties of smoky quartz:
- LOVE IS IN THE EARTH: The Crystal & Mineral Encyclopedia by Melody
- The Encyclopedia of Crystals by Judy Hall
- The Crystal Bible Volume 1 by Judy Hall
- The Book of Stones by Robert Simmons & Naisha Ahsian
Some More Quartz to Explore
Stay in the Loop
Hi! 👋 I'm Sébastien (aka Seb) and I'm creating Spiral11. I'm just getting started, so come back often for some great new things!
If you feel like supporting me and this website, you can do so here on Ko-fi.
Thanks so much in advance! 🙏🙏🙏
- Seb, ✌️+❤️