Amethyst is a form of quartz with iron and manganese impurities that give it its distinctive purple to lavender color. Amethyst is one of the most popular crystals to own and is included in almost all the lists of good starter crystals out there, and for good reason given its ability to balance our emotions, help with sleep and help with connecting with our spiritual side.
Jump to a section:
- Metaphysical Properties
- How to Work With It
- ✨ Quick Facts
- Further Exploration
I live in alignment with my higher self and operate out of a place of balance, peacefulness and calmness.
Meaning & Metaphysical Properties
- Amethyst is known as the crystal of spirituality because it helps us connect with our higher self/spirit and get in tune with our intuition and inner knowing.
- Amethyst helps to calm the mind and get centered and clear. It's therefore a great crystal to use while meditating.
- The fact that it helps with calming the mind makes amethyst a great crystal to help with sleep and around bedtime when it's time to relax.
- Also related to sleep, amethyst helps us avoid nightmares and can even help us access deeper insights while we sleep.
- Amethyst not only helps to balance the mind towards a better equilibrium or calmness, it also helps to balances our hormones for a more balanced functioning of the body in general.
- Amethyst assists in cleansing and purifying the aura.
- Amethyst helps with addiction and with controlling cravings. Not only can it be helpful for substance addiction, it also helps ward off repetitive behaviors or clinging that's not benefiting us.
How to Work With Amethyst
Here are some ideas on how to work with amethyst in your daily life:
- Meditate with a piece of amethyst close to you or in your hands.
- Wear it as jewelry (earrings, necklace,...).
- Sleep with a small piece of amethyst under your pillow, or by your side on your bedside table.
- Lay down and take some calm deep breaths with a small piece of amethyst placed on your third eye area (between your eyebrows).
- For healing, use an amethyst point to direct healing energy towards you or to transmute negative energy into energy of love.
Amethyst is found all over the world, but here's a list of some of the most common sources of amethyst:
- South Korea
- United States
- Third Eye
- Emotional Balance
- Help with addiction
- Access Higher Self
- Tumbled stones
- Number 3
I've prepared the following graphics that you can share on Instagram, Pinterest or your own website/blog:
If you want to further explore about the metaphysical properties and meaning of amethyst, I recommend the following resources:
Thanks to the following books for their great information about the different properties of amethyst:
- LOVE IS IN THE EARTH: The Crystal & Mineral Encyclopedia by Melody
- The Encyclopedia of Crystals by Judy Hall
- Crystals for Healing by Karen Frazier